Today the parishioners of St. Mary’s Church number approximately 2,200 and belong to the Northwest Ontario Planning Group. In 2005, the group finished a ten-year plan for their six parishes. With the approval of Bishop Clark, the plan is in progress. It will join St Mary’s in Canandaigua and St Bridget/St Joseph in Bloomfield to better serve the needs of the people and allow for the continuation of our Catholic presence in the area.
Future changes will reflect the growth in the Canandaigua area and the influx of people continuing to build on the foundation set by our founding mothers and fathers in 1840 and further developed when St Mary’s Church opened in 1905 on the corner of Main and Gibson Streets. We are all beneficiaries of the present-day efforts as well as the efforts of preceding St Mary’s Church parishioners.
St Mary’s Church Statistics as of November 2005
Registered families: 2,196
Estimated number of Baptized Catholics: 8,784
Average Sunday attendance: 1,728
In the past year:
Baptisms – 104
Marriages – 47
First Communions – 99
Funerals – 83
Confirmations – 96